St Peter's Church
St Peter’s church, Monkwearmouth, formed part of the Anglo Saxon monastery founded in c.673 by Benedict Biscop. The site, on the north bank of the Wear, close to the river mouth, had been granted to him by the Northumbrian king, Ecgfrith.
Whilst St Peter’s church has undergone significant rebuilding since its foundation in the late 7th century, parts of the original church have survived, namely the west wall of the present nave and the lowest stage of the tower. The west porch was probably erected shortly afterwards, whilst the open portal at the porch entrance, decorated with carvings of beaked, reptile-like creatures, dates from the late 7th or early 8th centuries. The remainder of the tower, above the porch, was constructed in the 11th century. Further rebuilding work was undertaken in the following centuries. The north aisle was added in the 13th century and the five-light east window in the 14th. The three-bay arcade and most of the chancel arch were removed in the early 19th century when galleries were added and further alterations were made in 1875-6 when the north aisle was rebuilt and extended.
Grade 1 Listed Building. See Sunderland Listed Buildings
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Sunderland and its Origins: Monks to Mariners' (ISBN 13 : 9781860774799) and 'Sunderland: Building a City' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-547-5 ) for the England's Past for Everyone series