St Peter's Church, Codford
St Peter's church, which stood at the entrance to the medieval village from the west on the north side of the High Street, was made more impressive in the 15th century by battlemented additions. Like St Mary's the survival of a Norman font and architectural features suggests that St Peter's church is at least a century older than the first written mention of it, in 1291. St Peter’s church may in fact have replaced a substantial Anglo-Saxon church, for which the Codford Cross was perhaps carved about AD 800 to decorate the building rebuilt in the 12th century.
The church was heavily restored in a 13th century Gothic style between 1863 and 1865 by London architect T.H. Wyatt who reseated and enlarged it. Most noticeable in his work is the reconstructed south porch.
View photographs and documents associated with St Peter’s church from the selection on the right.