Steventon, Hampshire, Census Returns 1851-1901
Steventon was a small agricultural village mainly on the chalk of the Hampshire downs. The farming was mixed with predominantly corn and sheep but in the late 19th century cattle were increasingly raised and the importance of sheep declined slightly. After 1881 there was a resident lord of the manor, before that the village was dominated by the rector and the tenant of the Manor farm. Population increased slowly during this period.
There was no station in Steventon but the London to Southampton line crossed the parish and some villagers worked on the railway.