Street an Nowan
This was one of the smaller settlements that made up Newlyn. The place-name 'Street an Awan' (street of the Oxen) was first found in Thomas Chiverton's will of 1604, when the area was still farmland. Building began here on farmland soon after the Spanish raid of 1595.
Street an Nowan was a new town which grew up in the 17th century in a triangle of land between Newlyn Town, Paul Hill and the beach. As the settlement grew, it linked Newlyn Town, with the previously separate coastal settlement of Tolcarne just half a mile north. Street an Nowan therefore helped double the area and population of Newlyn in the early to mid 17th century.
The economic focus of Street an Nowan was the beach. Here Breton merchants dried their fish, and fish were landed at low tide. There was a quay, later known as Gwavas Quay after the fish tithe owner.
Meadows and orchards on the outskirts of Newlyn Town and Street an Nowan began to disappear below stone and mortar in the early 18th century.