Surviving First World War Buildings
To accommodate the British and ANZAC troops at Codford, a large number of temporary wooden huts were built in a series of camps, mainly along the eastern side of Chitterne Road and Chitterne Brook creating a totally military landscape north of the village. Although the majority of these huts were removed following the ceasation of hostilities in 1919, a number of these ephemeral wooden buildings survive into the 21st century. Usually adapted to be used as garages, workshops and sheds these buildings are far more numerous in their survival than those from the American camps A and B, built during the Second World War. As part of the England's Past for Everyone Project in 2006, these surviving structures were identified and photographed by two local volunteers, Sir Willy Mahon and David Delius, providing the first full record of these remarkable survivals.