T.H. Wyatt and the Victorian restoration of Codford's churches
During the Victorian period, many parish churches were rebuilt or ‘restored’ to look like an idealised version of their medieval selves. TH Wyatt was a London architect, who worked on these ‘restorations’. However his style was not to everyone’s taste and he gained a reputation for insensitive rearrangements of the fabric of medieval churches. At Codford St Mary’s Church, in 1843-4, Wyatt added a south aisle and chapel with organ chamber in Decorated Gothic style. Twenty years later, TH Wyatt turned his attention to Codford St Peter’s Church. He added a new north aisle and a north organ chamber in the 13th century style. The church was re-roofed at a steeper pitch, which was considered more appropriate. New fabrics were added to the chancel carvings, stained glass and encaustic tiles. The porch was almost entirely rebuilt with an elaborate vault.