Upton Grey School
In 1819 there were two schools in Upton Grey built on land owned by the Lord of the Manor, John Hanbury Beaufoy, which were supported on the National Plan by his wife. On one occasion she provided a roast beef dinner for nearly 300 children and gave each boy a hat and shirt and each girl a bonnet and frock. By 1870 boys and girls were combined into a single building which could accommodate 73 pupils. Children were admitted free of charge, with funding raised by government grant and voluntary rates.
The two- or three-teacher school had two rooms measuring 15 x 14ft and 33 x 18ft. The playground was too small for proper drill lessons and play so children spilled out onto the quiet lane at break times. Children were received from neighbouring Weston Patrick when their school closed in 1917.
Eighteen evacuee children came from Portsmouth in 1939 when the village hall across the road had to be hired for senior lessons and meals. In 1941 the school was purchased by Trustees for £150 and many improvements – electricity, waterborne sanitation and a kitchen – had been made by 1958.
Due to falling pupil numbers, the school finally closed in 1986 with only 17 pupils on the register. In 1990 it was sold and converted into a domestic dwelling, but half of the proceeds of the sale were placed in an educational trust which still supports local students in the 21st century.
Content derived during research for new VCH Hampshire volume, Old Basing, Steventon and surrounding parishes