Week St Mary
Built in the Early English and Perpendicular style, Week St Mary’s church was constructed in the 13th century and the tower was built in 16th century. Unlike many of the other churches throughout Cornwall, the five bells were all cast in 1731.
Grammar schools, which taught boys how to read, understand, write and speak in Latin, made their first appearance at Week St Mary. They were brought to Cornwall via Thomasine Percival, the Cornish widow of a lord mayor of London. There is little recorded history about the presence of grammar schools in Cornwall, and although they made appearances throughout England in the 15th century, it wasn’t until 1506 that Cornwall provided such schooling.