West Anstey Village
Road to the church, West Anstey
Even in the 21st century West Anstey village seems very isolated and not easy to access. It sits in a hollow of improved sheep pasture beside one of the lanes to the Anstey commons on the high moors. Apart from the Vicarage and Church Town Farm behind the church the village consists of a handful of cottages known as Anstey Town. In 1881 the village had its own postman and school, although the teacher shared the premises with a labouring family. Two cottages had been abandoned by 1901 when the others were occupied by a tailor, a labourer and a pauper. The vicar was still resident in 1901 with his family, governess, cook, housemaid, gardener and an Indian born boy who may have been his pupil.