Witney Street (north): Nos 17 (Old Meeting House) and 19
The large gable facing the street at No. 17 is unusual in Burford, and reflects the building’s origins as the Plymouth Brethren Meeting House (opened by 1877). Further evidence is the regular coursed stonework and the pair of sash windows at first-floor level. The ground floor window and door date from its conversion to domestic use in 1965, and the building was considerably remodelled in 2006, with the addition of dormer windows and a chimney stack.
No. 19 next door dates possibly from the 18th century, and there is evidence of early timber lintels. By the 1840s it had been divided into two cottages, the reason for the blocked doorway visible in the stonework. The western part seems to have been variously occupied by butchers, bakers, and a dressmaker in the 19th century, and the eastern by the postmaster and a tailor. The quoins on the right show where the front has been heightened to create more attic space, probably in the late 19th century. The first-floor boxed oriel window and Welsh-slate roof are 20th-century.
See: R Moody, A Brief Account of the Plymouth Brethren Meeting in Burford (2004); Listed Building Description