Witney Street (north): Nos 27-33 (including former White Hart Inn)
Like many buildings on this side of Witney Street, these three houses on the far side of Guildenford began as 17th-century cottages. At No. 27 the main windows are 18th-century, but the labels over the basement openings are evidence of a 17th-century house, and the position of the doorway relative to the windows suggests that the façade was constrained by an earlier building. The gable end has chamfered 17th-century window surrounds. Nineteenth-century occupants probably included an agricultural labourer, butcher, machine worker, and baker.
No. 29 (the middle property) was heightened to three storeys in the early or mid 19th century when it became the White Hart Inn (recorded 1840s to 1871). The tripartite window and carriageway surround with matching pilaster strips are from the same period. Probably the carriageway gave access to a forge when a blacksmith lived here in the 1890s–1910s.
No. 33 next door has 18th- and 19th-century sash windows and a Welsh slate roof. Its large ground-floor window dates from its use as a baker's and grocer's shop in the 1850s–80s, followed by a shoe shop (1901) and saddlery (1920s–30s). Many of the stones in this group have been keyed for a covering of render.
See: Listed Building Description; R Moody, The Inns of Burford (2007), 104; A Jewell, Burford in Old Photos (1985), 79