Content derived during research for the new VCH Hampshire volume, Basingstoke and its surroundings.
From its opening in February 1905 until its transfer to the Methodists in 1928, the Working Men’s Mission Hall in George Street, Basingstoke, serve
For this period 23 probate documents have been selected to reflect the range of occupations in the town and show the move to brewing following the
The whole of the 1881 census for Basingstoke parish has been transcribed by the New VCH Hampshire volunteers, based in the town.
For this decade a selection of 18 probate records comprising 12 wills, 12 inventories and one renunciation have been chosen from the available mate
Wallis and Steevens was a family business, founded in Basingstoke in 1856 to sell agricultural machinery in the rural hinterland.
For 30 years a Pleasant Sunday Afternoon (hereafter P.S.A.) Society, also known as the Men’s Own Brotherhood, was attached to London Street Congreg
For over 200 years, one of the most distinctive features of Basingstoke’s ecclesiastical landscape was a Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion church.
Although the primary concern of churches has always been the spiritual wellbeing of their congregations, many have also contributed to the social l
Thornycroft, the commercial vehicle manufacturer, was the biggest employer in Basingstoke for much of the 20th century.