Content derived during research for the new VCH Hampshire volume, Basingstoke and its surroundings.
From Mote Hall to Museum
This period saw increasing numbers of children requiring education in Basingstoke and a constant struggle to supply sufficient places.
Education in Basingstoke dates back to the 16th century with the founding of a school for boys attached to the Holy Ghost chapel. With numerous ch
Brewing in Basingstoke in the 18th century is illustrated by the inventory of brewer William Downes, who died in 1770 leaving considerable assets d
In the 1820s and 30s if you looked north from Basingstoke town centre two structures would dominate the top of the slope north of the River Loddon.
The accompanying graph shows the growth of carriers’ services centred on Basingstoke and extending to villages within a 6 to 8 mile radius of the t
This building at the top of Sarum Hill, Basingstoke, was erected in July 1883 by Colonel John May of May’s Brewery as a Drill Hall for K Company, 1
Founded in 1841, the aims of the Institute were to instruct members in science and useful knowledge by the means of lectures, conversation and read
Sir Richard Aldworth (d.1646) left money to the Corporation of Basingstoke to educate ten boys of good and religious poor men of the town and to af
Basingstoke Inns, Beerhouses and associated businesses in the 1851 census.