Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Bristol: Ethnic Monorities and the City 1000-2001' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-477-5 ) for the England's Past for Everyone series
This building was designed especially as a Custom House, and the original opened in 1711.
In 1792 the first overseas Consulate for the United States of America was established in this house.
Captain Woodes Rogers (1679-1732) is remembered in a plaque on 33-35 Queen Square, he was Captain of a voyage around the world from 1708 to 1711, w
Queen Square has always been popular with rich merchants and traders.
This Public House is one of many that were used by sailors and others in the Port of Bristol.
This large Church of England church is a very fine example of how a church can be enlarged and supported by a very wealthy congregation. Some membe
The Christian religious group called the Quakers (The Religious Society of Friends) used this small plot of land as their burial ground for a numbe
This street is named after the gold coin called a guinea, which took its name from the West African gold coast.
These eighteenth century houses were owned by wealthy merchants and others during the eighteenth century.
Some people mistakenly believe that the network of caves under Redcliffe Hill was used to store slaves before sale in Bristol.