Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Burford: Buildings and People in a Cotswold Town' (ISBN 13 : 9781860774881) for the England's Past for Everyone series
Opposite Nos. 1–2, former commercial use can be seen in Weavers and Tiverton Cottages.
This near-continuous run of cottages begins with Nos. 1–2 , where stonework shows that a first-floor central casement has been removed.
Timber-framed and set on octagonal stone columns, the Tolsey is typical of a broad range of market houses, town halls, and moot- or guildhalls foun
After weaving, cloth had to be fulled to shrink and strengthen the fabric, providing greater resistance to wear and weather.
Sheep farming was an important part of the Cotswolds economy by the Roman period.
Among its most famous proponents was William Morris (1834-96), who, with others in his circle, produced hand-crafted wallpapers, textiles, furnitur
Its primary function was as a market house - the name 'Tolsey', found particularly in the Cotswolds and Wiltshire, suggests a place where market to
Fulling shrank the cloth considerably - in the early 16th century it was accepted that a 32-yard cloth would shrink to 25 yards - so as it dried, t
Burford's earliest surviving inn building is the front part of the New Inn at 124 High Street (built c.1401).
Medieval houses usually followed a common arrangement whose traces can sometimes be detected in what appear to be much later buildings.