Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Burford: Buildings and People in a Cotswold Town' (ISBN 13 : 9781860774881) for the England's Past for Everyone series
Behind a remodelled 17th-century façade are remains of another medieval house, documented from 1492 when the guild of the chapel of St Mary in Burf
The ashlar façade is of 1696 (datestone), but masks an earlier building: note the position of the doorway and side passage, squeezed into a corner.
A house here may have been occupied in 1652 by Leonard Mills, carrier (taxed in 1662 on 5 hearths), and owned in 1685 by Robert Aston (of the
The ashlar façade of No.
Like the Bay Tree Hotel two centuries later, the 18th-century Lamb Inn comprises an accumulation of several properties.
This site will soon contain all Burford wills and inventories for 1500-1699 . There will be a glossary to help with obscure words.