Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Burford: Buildings and People in a Cotswold Town' (ISBN 13 : 9781860774881) for the England's Past for Everyone series
As so often in Burford, the house's 18th-century façade conceals an earlier building.
Constructed for the County of Gloucester Bank Ltd in 1878, possibly to designs by James Medland of Gloucester, this commercial building displays a
Established in 1935, the Bay Tree Hotel encompasses two earlier houses.
Despite the early 18th-century style of the window surrounds and a broken pediment above the doorway, this is a mid 19th-century rebuild of an earl
Two cottages here in the 1650s were replaced in the early 18th century by a single farmstead, where malting was carried out long before the establi
The blocked doorway left of centre shows that No. 18 was once a pair of cottages, erected probably in the mid 17th century.
Until 1968–9 this was stabling for The Great House.
No. 16 Witney Street is modern, built c.1990 on the site of the former Agg's builders' yard.
No. 55 probably has 16th-century origins, and shows evidence of timber framing.
This further row of probably 17th-century cottages has also been repeatedly altered, re-divided, and recombined. No.