Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Codford: Wool and War in Wiltshire' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-441-6 ) for the England's Past for Everyone series
This industrial building known as The Woolstore stands in the ancient parish of Codford St Peter on the south side of the High Street, where the ro
Chitterne brook runs into the river Wylye. Codford owes its origins to the fords which crossed at this point. On both sides of the Chitterne broo
Overton House, rebuilt in brick for the local surgeon in the early 19th century.
When Codford St Mary's rectory house was built in the 17th century, it was a modest house, unlikely to have been the residence of gentry rector Joh
The Poplars was built in the early 19th century with a fashionably Greek Doric porch.
The rectory house of Codford St Peter. Its classical front conceals a 17th-century house, with a central chimney and lobby-entry plan.
In 1840, the plain classical Wool House had an L-plan, but by the time it was put up for sale in 1869 there was not only a northern extension, but
For centuries, the Wylye Valley was an area of sheep farming and barley production, where the sheep were used to dung the land.
Most of today’s settlement lies along the High Street, the old main road running slightly south-eastwards from Codford St Peter to the bridge over
The Old Manor House, on the High Street in Codford St Peter, is typical of stone-built West Wiltshire farmhouses of the late 16th and early 17th ce