Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Codford: Wool and War in Wiltshire' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-441-6 ) for the England's Past for Everyone series
The George Inn, first recorded in 1541, had become the stopping place for the Rocket stagecoach before 1800, and was described in 1787 as a stone a
Codford was sited on an ancient road running on the north side of the river Wylye, from Warminster in the west to Wilton in the east.
Codford had no country seat until the early 19th century when Ashton Gifford House, set in a small ornamental park, took that role.
Discovered built into the wall above the chancel arch of St Peter’s church in 1864, this Anglo-Saxon sculpture now stands against the north chancel
Codford Circle, with its bank and ditch, viewed from the air looking south, with Punch Bowl Bottom to the right.
The military cemetery in Codford St Mary, the second largest of its kind in the UK, lies in a peaceful spot by the parish church and contains the g
Codford station, with the stationmaster’s lodge nearby, opened in 1856 at the far south-west corner of the parish, and was linked to the main road
The cap badge on the slope above Foxhole Bottom, made by Australian troops, 1916-17, incorporating glass beer bottle bases. Polishing the bottles
Codford’s village theatre resulted from a society scandal during 1924-5, involving a young adventuress and a retired colonel, whom she married for
St Peter's church, which stood at the entrance to the medieval village from the west on the north side of the High Street, was made more impressive