Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Cornwall and the Cross: Christianity 500-1560' (ISBN 978-1-86077-468-3) for the England's Past for Everyone series
It is known that there was a Norman chapel on the site of the present church, but the only fragment remaining of this chapel is the tympanum over t
There has been a church here since the 13th century although the present building is greatly restored.
St Piran's Oratory was buried under sand by the Department of the Environment in 1980
Parish Minutes 193/80
The name Pelynt is a corruption of the Celtic PLU-NENT which means "the Parish of St Nonna". The church was dedicated to St Nonna, the mother of S
Paul Church was burned by a Spanish raiding party in July 1595, and was rebuilt in 1600.
The medieval church of St Piran, on Perran Sands, was built in about 1150, following the inundation of St Piran's Oratory by the dunes.
This questionnaire combines the two churches of St Cuby and Cornelly, and was completed by a volunteer working on the Religious History project.
This questionnaire was completed by a volunteer working on the project
The church is dedicated to Saint Wenappa, believed to have been a saintly woman who lived there in Celtic times. The present church building dates