Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Cornwall and the Cross: Christianity 500-1560' (ISBN 978-1-86077-468-3) for the England's Past for Everyone series
St Ia's Chapel was built to accompany the nearby holy well. It was licenced on 1429. It lies on the banks of a wooded gorge.
All Saints Church in St Ewe is a large, impressive church in the early decorated style.
Ten crosses have been identified in Camborne parish. These have been found in churchyards, in walls or near sacred wells.
There are four holy wells in Camborne parish. They are the wells of St Meriasek, St Ia Chapel, St Magdalene and Sancot.
St Ilogan's Church dates back to the early 1300s - it was mentioned by the Bishop of Exeter's registers in 1307 and 1308.
There seven known medieval crosses in Illogan parish, most of which are in poor condition, with missing heads or eroded. We do not know the locati
Cornwall (like other areas of the UK with a Celtic heritage) is well served by holy wells and springs, with water to reputedly heal and cure illne
The church of St Carantoc is located in the village of Crantock.
Redruth is a Cornish town which was once a prosperous centre of the tin-mining industry. It does however also have medieval remains.