Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Hardwick: A Great House and its Estate' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-544-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series
Duchess Georgiana married the 5th duke of Devonshire in 1775.
The Blacksmith's Shop at Hardwick Colliery (Holmewood).
An agreement made in 1656 between the 3rd earl of Devonshire's receiver, Humphrey Poole, and nine colliers concerning the working of coal at Heath.
In 1811, just short of his 21st birthday, William Spenser Cavendish (the 6th duke of Devonshire) inherited one of the largest landed estates in the
In Ault Hucknall, as in most communities, the oldest surviving building is the parish church.
Elizabeth dowager countess of Shrewsbury (c.1521–1608), best known to history as `Bess of Hardwick', is probably the third most famous Englishwoman
Although the Cavendishes divided their time between Derbyshire and London, they occupied rented houses until the 18th century, when the 2nd duke bu
Chatsworth was transformed in the 1680s from Sir William Cavendish's Elizabethan house with four tall ranges round a small courtyard into a fashion
The growth of the modern coal mining in the 19th century brought with it it dramatic changes in both settlement and society on and near the Hardwic