Content generated during research for the paperback book 'The Medway Valley: A Kent Landscape Transformed' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-600-7) for the England's Past for Everyone series
The large village of Aylesford lies in the Medway Valley, Kent.
The Snodland census returns for 1841, 1861, 1881, 1901
The census returns for Halling: 1841, 1861, 1881, 1901
The Cuxton censuses for 1841, 1861, 1881 and 1901. This parish alone of the eight in the project maintained a steady population.
The Frindsbury censuses for 1841, 1861 and 1881
The Strood censuses for 1841, 1861 and 1881.
With some 15,000 names the Strood and Frindsbury 1901 censuses are too unwieldy for this project in a single table.
Aylesford is one of the largest parishes in the group and incorporates differing areas.
Burham was transformed following the building of Thomas Cubitt's brick and cement works in 1852-5, later the Burham Brick, Lime & Cement Co.
The growth in the population is due to the presence of the Lime and Cement Works in the parish which William Peters established in the 1850s and 18