Content generated during research for the paperback book 'The Medway Valley: A Kent Landscape Transformed' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-600-7) for the England's Past for Everyone series
The Hook family came to Snodland in 1854 as the new owners of the paper mill.
Halling High Street looking north c.1910. Although the shops on the left have gone, the buildings remain.
Hilton, Anderson and Company set up a new lime works at Halling in 1873 and their cement works there called Halling Manor dates from 1878.
Halling railway station was opened on 1 March 1890, much later than the adjacent stations at Cuxton and Snodland. This view is pre-1914.
This view towards the east from Church Street shows the Victorian church of St Mary's, designed by E. W. Stephens of Maidstone and built by J. G.
Burham, Scarborough Terrace (visible on the skyline), looking north. The chalk pit has already fallen into disuse.
At the height of production at the end of the nineteenth century, some seventeen cement factories were working on the banks of the Medway between F
Quarrying chalk during the nineteenth century was labour intensive work requiring many men.
The school in Halling dates from the early nineteenth century. The school building in Vicarage Lane was opened on 8 May 1876, with 72 scholars.
The Ferry between Halling and Wouldham was very ancient and lasted about 600 years.