Content derived from research undertaken as part of the Victoria County History project
Strood High Street is the main artery on the old Watling Street leading from London and Gravesend to Rochester via the bridge over the Medway.
The Troy Town area of Rochester, within the parish of St Margaret's, was first built between about 1800-1830.
Census data for 1841, 1861 and 1881 has been compiled for four areas within the Medway Towns: Luton (Chatham), Old Brompton (Chatham and Gillingham
A study of the probate inventories for Strood, Rochester and Chatham was published in Archaeologia Cantiana, vol. 77, pp. 160-176: A. J. F.