The church has Anglo-Saxon origins. The present building contains some Norman work, but is mainly of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
When the Bishop of Hereford established a borough in his rural manor of Ledbury in the early twelfth century a new market place was laid out in wha
The foreshore at Hendon where, acording to 14th century records, ships were moored.
Until 1719, the area that was to become Sunderland was divided into two parishes which served administrative as well as religious purposes.
The Black Death which first arrived in England in 1348, had reached Durham by the summer of 1349.
The medieval parish of Bishopwearmouth comprised the townships of Bishopwearmouth, Ford, Bishopwearmouth Panns, Ryhope, Silksworth, Tunstall and Bu
The parish church of St Michael and All Angels in Bishopwearmouth belonged to the bishop of Durham, who appointed its rectors.
After its destruction by the Vikings the once proud Anglo-Saxon monastery of Wearmouth remained ruinous and uninhabited until the later 11th centur
Although much of the earlier road pattern has been swept away, it is still possible to make out the shape of medieval villages at Southwick and Bis
Built by William, lord Hylton in the late 14th or early 15th century. The gatehouse, the original core of the medieval castle, still remains.