When war returned in 1939 Codford was again chosen as a military garrison for many regiments from the British armed forces who were joined in 1943
Although Codford was peripheral to the main army training areas on and around Salisbury Plain, its easy rail and road access to Warminster and Sali
In July 1916 Codford was chosen as the depot for housing wounded New Zealand troops during their convalescence and the hutted military hospital in
The transformation of Salisbury Plain from sheep downland to military training grounds, between 1897 and 1914, coincided with the heyday of railway
To accommodate the British and ANZAC troops at Codford, a large number of temporary wooden huts were built in a series of camps, mainly along the e
John Collins was a farmer in Codford
The military cemetery in Codford St Mary, the second largest of its kind in the UK, lies in a peaceful spot by the parish church and contains the g
The cap badge on the slope above Foxhole Bottom, made by Australian troops, 1916-17, incorporating glass beer bottle bases. Polishing the bottles
The present-day Phyllis Court is a stuccoed, Italianate mansion house on Henley's northern edge, built in the early 1840s.
Image: a typical crush of pleasure boats at the 1896 Regatta, viewed from one of house boats which lined the banks for weeks on end.