The buildings along Burford's main streets reflect the town's varied social character, which included gentry and professionals as well as shopkeepe
The ashlar façade is of 1696 (datestone), but masks an earlier building: note the position of the doorway and side passage, squeezed into a corner.
This notable late-medieval house is comparable to some broadly contemporary examples on High Street.
As so often in Burford, the house's 18th-century façade conceals an earlier building.
From the late 18th century to c.1918 this was the Rose and Crown inn.
At No. 94, now called Christmas Court, the canopy with supporting columns, the boxed shopfront, and the bay windows are all 19th-century.
These two buildings probably began as a single late-medieval range: No.
Though a shared Cotswold-slate roof now links this range with Nos. 54–56, the varied stone façades confirm their separate histories. No.
In origin this is probably a small 17th-century cottage (cf. Nos.
The façade is almost entirely of the 1920s (below), but the structure contains remains of another late 15th-century building, whose jetty survives